Workers tore down the derelict house at 6 Farnham St. last week in order to make way for a new parking lot for the Cazenovia Fire Department.
Cazenovia A property that has been deemed a significant eyesore and potential public health hazard was removed from the village of Cazenovia last week when the derelict house at 6 Farnham St. was demolished and a gravel parking lot for Cazenovia Fire Department members put in its place.
The village board, which had deferred the action for two years, decided recently the house’s deteriorating condition had reached the point where it was a safety hazard to residents and an aesthetic detriment to the community, and therefore should be removed, said Mayor Kurt Wheeler. Also part of the demolition decision was the fact that the fire department, which has been using the building for firefighter training for the past two years, has gotten as much use out of the structure as they could.
The building was demolished last Tuesday in less than an hour; by Wednesday, the debris was completely removed, the ground leveled and a gravel parking lot put in its place. The total project cost the village approximately $42,000.
“We decided this year to bite the bullet and do this,” Wheeler said. “Obviously, there’s never a good time to spend $42,000 when you get nothing constructive for that money, but we had already deferred for two years and felt that now we had to take it down and keep it from being health and safety hazard.”
The village of Cazenovia purchased the house at 6 Farnham St. in 2012 specifically with the intention to tear it down and create a parking lot for members of the Cazenovia Fire Department. The CFD currently has only 10 parking spots. When its members come to the station to respond to emergency calls, they have been parking in Buyea’s True Value lot and in the Colligan and Sons service station lot.
The village board last summer reviewed and approved the proposal to change the zoning on the Farnham Street lot in order to create the parking lot. The village also did an asbestos abatement on the house, and it was determined there was asbestos present in the floors, walls, ceilings and insulation, said Public Works Administrator Bill Carr.