OT goal sends lacrosse Hornets to state final

F-M's Wilson beats Fairport with six goals, including game-winner

— Try as he could to deflect credit from himself to his compatriots, Jack Wilson could not escape the praise he deserved for leading the Fayetteville-Manlius boys lacrosse team to the brink of its first-ever state championship.

Wilson poured in six goals, including the game-winner in overtime, to carry the Hornets past Fairport 10-9 in Wednesday's state Class A semifinal at Cicero-North Syracuse's Bragman Stadium.

"For me, it came down to getting into a nice groove," said Wilson. "But we worked together as a team."

Indeed, it took all of F-M's talent and character to erase deficits of 3-0 (in the first half) and 7-3 (in the second half) to earn a trip to Hofstra University on Long Island to face Massapequa in Saturday's state title game.

"Our kids don't quit," said Hornets head coach Chris Kenneally. "They are very resilient."

At the ultimate pressure point, though, it was Wilson with the ball on his stick. Already with four goals to his credit, he changed up from his normal position at the back of the net, and working from the left point, fired home the tying goal with 50.8 seconds left in regulation.

Then, in a tense OT period where both teams had chances to win but could not convert, Wilson picked up the ball on the left side, sprinted to the net and, with 11.4 seconds left, flicked a close-up shot past Fairport goalie Joey Scalise.

Essentially, the first half split into two parts - the early portion where Fairport bolted out in front, and the latter portion where F-M caught up, only to see the Red Raiders reclaim the lead just before the break.

Accurate shots from Dan McAvoy, Justin Kesselring and Nick Orisni led to goals and pushed Fairport to a 3-0 lead before the game was eight minutes old, which caused Kenneally to use a time-out.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment