Grimes girls win streak survives Marcellus OT scare

Shattuck 3-pointer forces OT; Vaught nets 33 as Hoag returns

— Riding an eight-game win streak, with a no. 14 state Class B ranking and fresh from its most dramatic moment of the season, the Bishop Grimes girls basketball team would go after Westhill Saturday night in the “Hoops for the Hospital” finale.

Of course, that win streak nearly didn’t reach eight in a row.

Grimes was on the brink of a road loss at Marcellus Thursday night until Teresa Shattuck rescued them and forced overtime, where Jordan Vaught led the way and helped the Cobras fight off the Mustangs 75-69.

Trailing by three, 60-57, with four seconds left in the fourth quarter, Grimes saw the Mustangs’ Rylie Spicer miss the front end of a one-and-one free-throw chance, which kept the Cobras alive.

Not calling a time-out, Grimes raced down the court. With Vaught, well-covered by the Marcellus defense, Shattuck had no choice but to shoot herself.

From well beyond the 3-point arc, Shattuck fired just as the buzzer sounded. Whether the shot got off in time, it fell, and was called good, tying it at 60-60.

At first, the Mustangs shook off the shock of that shot and took a 64-60 lead early in the OT period. But Grimes rallied again, going in front, 66-65 on a basket by Tina Hoag, seeing her first game action since injuring her ankle in the first meeting with Westhill on Dec. 19.

After an exchange of baskets, Marcellus, down 71-69, missed a possible go-ahead 3-poitner in the waning seconds. Three more Grimes free throws sealed by Vaught and Katy McInerney sealed it.

Hot early shooting gave Marcellus a 26-13 lead early in the second quarter before Grimes closed the half on a 14-2 run. The Cobras pulled in front in the third quarter, but Marcellus shook it off and reclaimed the lead and stretched it out to six, 58-52, with less than two minutes left.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment