Cazenovia Every May, the United States celebrates the preservation of historic architecture, sites and landscapes during National Preservation Month. From local grassroots efforts to national initiatives, a month-long series of programs and events take place across the country, including in Madison County.
Cazenovia’s Historic Preservation Committee (HPC), Cazenovia Preservation Foundation (CPF), the Cazenovia Public Library and Lorenzo State Historic Site have partnered this year to host a series of engaging and educational events focusing on the cultural heritage of historic Cazenovia. All programs are free and open to the public.
The kick-off event for the celebration in Cazenovia is “A Sense of Place: A Primer to Unlocking the History of Your Home” on Thursday, May 8, and is sponsored by Lorenzo State Historic Site and made possible by The Friends of Lorenzo. Cynthia Howk, architectural research coordinator at the Landmarks Society of Western New York, one of the oldest and most active preservation organizations in America, will offer a step-by-step presentation on how to go about researching one’s historic home.
Howk will then be joined by Madison County Historian Matt Urtz, Cazenovia Public Library Archives Coordinator Elisha Davies and Lorenzo archivist Sharon Cooney to discuss how the public can access and use local resources. In addition, CPF will have information and take applications for its Historic Building Signage Initiative.
The evening’s program begins promptly at 7 p.m. and will take place at the Cazenovia Public Library, 100 Albany St. Contact Diane Voss at 655-3200 with any questions.
The historic First Presbyterian Church at 27 Albany St. will be highlighted this year with a retrospective architectural presentation by Historic Preservation Committee Chair Ted Bartlett on May 18. This program will focus on the early design and Federal-style detailing that are hidden behind and above the existing 1860’s work, and Bartlett will also discuss what the church looked like before it was moved from the original Emory Avenue location to its present-day location on Albany Street.