C-NS, Liverpool soccer both lose to B’ville

Warriors see two-goal lead vanish in second half

For the Liverpool boys soccer team to go as far as it wants, it had to find a way to pick up the offensive production that has suffered ever since Nick Zingaro’s season-ending knee injury.

Yet another instance of the Warriors’ short-handed attack was last Tuesday night’s long battle with Fayetteville-Manlius at LHS Stadium, which went into double overtime before the Hornets pulled it out by a score of 1-0.

Off to a 3-0 start (including a win over Baldwinsville), F-M was a confident group going into the game, and little that happened discouraged the Hornets, even as it stayed 0-0 through regulation thanks to a stout Warrior defense.

Every time F-M tried to push in front, defenders would chip the ball away, and when it got to goalie Kyle Peck, he handled the ball, making eight saves overall.

Liverpool had just as many chances, only to have F-M keeper Jim Brady turn them away. That mattered more when, in the second 10-minute OT period, the Hornets charged again – and Jules Ngadula, taking a feed from Tyler Tressnes, bet Peck for the game-winner.

On Saturday night, Liverpool met yet another high-profile opponent when it took on Baldwinsville and, for a half, the Warriors appeared to be figuring things out – only to surrender that edge and take a painful 3-2 defeat to the Bees.

Fired up to face its neighbor and rival, Liverpool was able to capitalize on a pair of first-half scoring opportunities. Mike Alsid and Joe Pugh both put in goals, with Kyle Lombard adding an assist, and the Warriors found itself with a 2-0 halftime edge.

And still it could not hold on. B’ville pulled even, 2-2, with a second-half surge, and then got the game-winner in the extra period as Jake Gentile, with two goals, led the rally, Alex Burrer earning the other goal. Peck, in defeat, recorded three saves.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment