Parson’s Mill, seen here in c. 1895, was located on the corner of Mill Street and Riverside Drive.
150 Years Ago
Oct. 7, 1863 — We understand that a proposition has been made to parties in town to run a telegraph line to this village, to connect with the main line at Chittenango. We earnestly hope the proposition will be favorably received by those to whom it was made.
If the weather holds good for two days more — and there appears to be a good prospect of it — we shall expect to see a large turnout at the Cazenovia Town Fair to-morrow and next day. There is no reason why we cannot get in as extensive a display as neighboring towns. We have as good stock and agricultural productions as any town in the county. All that is required is for our farmers and mechanics to take an interest in the matter and bring out their big pumpkins and choice cattle, their products and manufactures. On the evening of the first day there will be a grand musical and social entertainment at Concert Hall. Some good speaking and singing may be expected. The annual address will be delivered on the afternoon of the second day by Jas. L. Bishop, of Fenner, after which the awards of premiums will be read.
The members of Deluge Fire Company No. 2 will give a Festival for the benefit of their organization the first night of the Fair. Our citizens should not fail to give the boys a substantial benefit. They have earned it by their promptness and zeal in running with the machine.
125 Years Ago
Oct. 4, 1888 — Cazenovia Seminary. The back campus is greatly enjoyed and appreciated as a place for exercise and recreation on pleasant days, but there is still need of a suitable place for exercise on stormy days. In short we need a gymnasium, one that is well equipped. It is doubtful if a person of means could do any greater good with his money than by donating $10,000 for this purpose.