Liverpool More than most civic groups, the Masons really respect and honor history. This weekend, the local lodge will celebrate some annals of its own. And as usual, the Masons will do it in style.
The Liverpool-Syracuse Lodge No. 501 of Free & Accepted Masons will mark its 150th anniversary at 3 p.m. Saturday, May 11, by erecting a four-foot-tall obelisk monument in front of its building at 608 Oswego St., across from Johnson Park in the village. New York State Grand Master James Sullivan is expected to attend.
The original charter for Liverpool Lodge No. 525 is dated June 3, 1863. Its Charter Master was Richard J. Chillingworth, a 29-year-old native of Staffordshire, England. The Liverpool Masons convened at four different village locations through 1917 when they bought the lot at 608 Oswego for $800. The new temple building was financed via a sale of stock, and the building was dedicated on Aug. 6, 1918, by Grand Master William S. Farmer.
In the 1980s and ’90s, several lodges based in Syracuse consolidated with the Liverpool lodge. In 1994, Syracuse Lodge No. 501 joined Liverpool No. 525, creating the present Liverpool-Syracuse Lodge No. 501. The lodge’s current Master is Ralph Haney Jr.
Over the decades, the Lodge’s brothers have included more than 80 veterans of the Civil War and many men who served Grand Lodge, including two past grand masters, Clinton F. Paige and Findlay M. King. The brotherhood’s membership has spanned a wide spectrum from canal men to railroaders, from doctors to merchants and clergy to police officers. Two recent Liverpool mayors, Jim Moore and Al Sahm, are members.
The Liverpool Masons support the community by sponsoring the annual Easter egg hunt in Johnson Park, a couple of different Christmas observances and by providing scholarships to local students.
For more about the Masons, visit syracusemasons.com, or call 451-7524.