Liverpool boys lacrosse stops city foes

C-NS splits games with B'ville, Oswego

Defeats to Fayetteville-Manlius (lopsided) and Marcellus (a blown fourth-quarter lead) had the Liverpool boys lacrosse team in some trouble as April drew to a close.

Another loss, to Corcoran last Tuesday night, may have demoralized the Warriors, and it trailed in the fourth quarter – but this time it was Liverpool staging the comeback and pulling out a dramatic 9-8 victory.

Having already made it back from a 7-5 deficit to pull even, 8-8, in the closing minutes, Liverpool worked the ball around in the closing stages of regulation. With four seconds left, Peter Flood ripped a shot past Corcoran goalie Noah Galvin, which proved the game-winner.

None of the trouble seemed apparent in the first half. The Warriors knew that the Cougars would try and slow things down, and it backfired as Liverpool, mostly on the basis of a strong second quarter, gained a 4-1 halftime edge.

Something changed in the third quarter, though, as Corcoran, forced to speed things up, did so and zoomed past Liverpool’s zone defense to go on a 6-1 run and take a 7-5 lead. Alex Waelder and Alex Monaghan each had three goals and one assist as part of the comeback.

Yet it was the Warriors making the last push, backed up by goalie Dominick Madonna and his 15 saves, one more than Galvin, which proved important.

Other than Flood, only Harry Sardella scored twice, with Kendall Keahey managing a goal and two assists. Anthony Calabrese, Jamie Kuppel, Matt Sala and Dom Castiglia also scored, Justin Renk contributing an assist.

It was far easier, and far less stressful, on Friday as Liverpool, with an eye toward Tuesday’s big trip to West Genesee, routed Syracuse East 14-2, roaring out to a 13-0 lead by the end of the third quarter and only surrendering a pair of meaningless fourth-quarter tallies.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment