Liverpool gets dramatic OT win over Auburn

Warriors rally in regulation, pull out 33-32 win

— Everyone at Liverpool High School Stadium knew the ball was going to Jeff Edwards. The Warriors’ tailback had already taken all three carries of Liverpool’s must-score overtime possession in Friday night's classic showdown with Auburn.

Facing a third-down-and-goal from the five-yard line, and trailing the Maroons 32-26, Edwards took the handoff from quarterback Justin Capoto. Juking away from one Maroon defender in the backfield, he pushed ahead for the game-tying score.

As Trevor Monk’s successful extra point sailed through the uprights, he sprinted back upfield — one ecstatic mass of orange chasing him out to midfield while another converged on him from the sideline.

The raucous celebration and dramatic 19-point comeback culminated as Kyle Crescente leaped onto the bench and waved his arms toward the fans.


Liverpool tops Auburn 33-32

Liverpool football fans react after Trevor Monk converts on a game-winning extra point kick against Auburn Friday.

Liverpool football fans react after Trevor Monk converts on a game-winning extra point kick against Auburn Friday.

“We never let up. We never think that we’re going to lose. We never put our heads down,” Edwards said. “We always keep them up and we fight.”

Fight Liverpool did, coming back from a 26-7 deficit with 8:49 left in the second quarter to beat Auburn 33-32 in an emotional Class AA-1 division opener.

“I’m really impressed with my kids,” Liverpool head coach Dave Mancuso said. “They didn’t quit. They didn’t at Henninger either (earlier this season). I love the character of these kids. I wouldn’t say we’re the most talented, but we have great character.”

Edwards finished with 133 yards on 26 carries and Capoto connected with wide receiver Caleb Taylor three times for 102 yards and a pair of touchdowns while the Liverpool defense held a deceptive Maroons offense scoreless in the second half.

The Warriors nearly won it late in regulation, but an offsides call on the Maroons forced Monk to retry a potential game-winning extra point with 6:48 left, and it was blocked by Auburn’s Jack Burgmaster.

Long before this, the weather got in the way. A nasty thunderstorm struck a half-hour before kickoff, delaying the start for an hour.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment