Lisa Nichols stands behind the antique cash register in P.E. Mulligan’s, located at 65 Albany St. The device was bought by the original owner (and store’s namesake) in 1910, at a price of $2,000.
Photo by Pierce Smith.
continued Since then the business as evolved, adding new merchandise to better serve local residents and area shoppers. A book was even written about the lively history and diverse clientele of the shop. Miss Agnes, daughter of P.E. Mulligan, along with her brother, Bob, wrote “The Cherry Valley Store.”
The Trush family purchased the business in 1973 after 77 years of ownership by the Mulligan family. Now, 39 years later, a new proprietor is sought. Nichols asks those with “genuine interest” in purchasing the business call 655-3433.
Pierce Smith is editor of the Cazenovia Republican. He can be reached at 434-8889 ext. 338 or firstname.lastname@example.org.