Quantcast

Caz Presbyterian Church receives NYLC grant for steeple, window repair

The First Presbyterian Church of Cazenovia recently announced it has been awarded a matching grant of $1,500 from The New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Sacred Sites Program to assist in offsetting the costs of the current steeple/rosette window repair on the church.

Cazenovia’s Presbyterian Church was designed by renowned Albany architect Philip Hooker. The church (actually a meeting house) was built in 1806 on the north side of Emory Avenue, facing the Green, which is now where the middle school is located.

When it became apparent that the activity and commercial center of the village were concentrating on Albany Street, the church fathers had the church picked up and moved to its present location in 1826. The church sits back and commands a presence over the green with its tall timber framed steeple seemingly suspended above the slender timber columns.

The classically-inspired building with pediment front, engaged tower and clapboard siding was typical of early nineteenth century churches built in the popular Federal style.

By the end of Civil War the Presbyterians sought to upgrade their place of worship and in 1868 added a layer of improvements on the building in the then popular Italianate style and again, in 1889, another layer was added, yet both series of improvements retained the basic building plan and structure. With the Italianate style changes came the round tower rosette windows, tall arch topped leaded stain glass windows, roof brackets, paneled front doors and major alterations to the interior sanctuary.

Since 1986 The New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Sacred Sites program has supported more than 660 religious institutions throughout the state which have received over $6.7 million in matching grants. Sacred Sites is the country’s oldest and largest statewide grant program to help landmark religious properties.

The Cazenovia Presbyterian church had previously received two grants from Sacred Sites: a $4,000 grant to help pay for repairs to the church steeple and belfry and a $3,000 grant to repair the stained glass windows.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment