Boys lacrosse Warriors stop F-M, return to Class A final

Liverpool to get another shot at West Genny in title game

— The Liverpool boys lacrosse team has used last year’s heartbreaking triple-overtime loss to West Genesee in the Section III Class A championship game as motivation throughout this season.

Now the Warriors are one win away from replacing that disappointment with a sectional title, which would be the team's first since 1989.

Liverpool took down Fayetteville-Manlius 10-7 Saturday in the Class A semifinals at Cicero-North Syracuse's Bragman Stadium to advance to the championship game.

The Warriors fell behind early, but used a stifling zone defense and 15 saves from junior goalie Dominick Madonna to spark the win.

Now Liverpool will get another shot at West Genesee in the title game Wednesday at 8 p.m., also at C-NS. The Wildcats, after its 11th consecutive sectional title, beat Baldwinsville 11-4 in the other semifinal.

“It’s something that’s been on our mind all year,” Madonna said. “We wanted to do it. Had it as our main goal. I think because of that, we used that to motivate us and hopefully we can get one more.”

After a sloppy start for both teams, F-M jumped out to a 2-1 lead and appeared to tack on one more - but junior midfielder Kroy Arnold was called for stepping into the crease on the goal.

Liverpool senior midfielder Kyle DeAngelis then tied up the score two minutes later, and the Warriors added two more goals by the end of the first quarter to take a 4-2 lead.

From there, Liverpool’s defense took over. Utilizing a zone packed in around the crease, the Warriors forced the Hornets to settle for shots from the outside. And when F-M did shoot from long range, Madonna was there to turn them away.

“That was our game plan going in,” Liverpool head coach Mike Felice said. “We wanted them to take some outside shots.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment