COLUMN: Identity theft - ways to prevent becoming a victim

— If you are a victim of identity theft:

  • File a police report at your local precinct; get your complaint number or a copy of your report. If your license is stolen, take your police report to your local DMV when you ask for a replacement. Ask them to attach a copy of the report to your records. If you have evidence another person got a license, registration or title certificate in your name ask for and file a Form FI-17 (Report of Unauthorized Use).
  • Report lost or stolen checks, deposit tickets and/or bank statements
  • Contact the three major credit reporting agencies and have them place a fraud alert on your file: Equifax Fraud Assistance Department: (800) 525-6285 or equifax.com; TransUnion Fraud Victim Assistance: (800) 680-7289 or transunion.com; and Experian: (888) EXPERIAN (397-3742) or experian.com.
  • Call the Social Security Administration’s fraud hotline at (800) 269-0271 or go to ssa.gov/oig. If you suspect that someone is using your Social Security number, you can check your earnings record by calling (800) 772-1213.

Assemblyman Will Barclay represents residents of Assembly District 124, which includes Lysander. He can be reached by mail at 200 North Second St., Fulton, NY 13069, by e-mail at barclaw@assembly.state.ny.us or by phone (598-5185).

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment