Onondaga County Traffic Safety Awards
Officers and police departments from across the county were recognized at a ceremony by the Traffic Safety Advisory Board on Wednesday, Jan. 11.
- The Onondaga County District Attorney’s STOP DWI Award was presented to Installations Unlimited, of North Syracuse, for installing interlock devices.
- The Norma H. Coburn Traffic Safety Community Service Award was given to Patricia Wortley.
- The Gerald Deitz Individual Safety Service Award was given to Jason Cassalia, retired Captain from the Town of Manlius Police Department.
- The John H. Mulroy Award was presented to North Syracuse Police Officer Jeffrey Tripp.
- DWI Enforcer Award: Officer Jay Pollard, Town of Camillus Police Department, was honored for his 50 DWI arrests. Officer Brian Davis, Syracuse Police Department, was honored for his 65 DWI arrests.
- Speed Enforcer Award: Officer Jonathon Morticelli, Town of Manlius Police Department, was recognized for issuing 131 speeding citations. Trooper John Kulesa of the New York State Police was recognized for issuing 673 speeding citations.
- Occupant Protection Award: Officer Benjamin Kapusta, Town of Manlius Police Department, was recognized for issuing 89 occupant restraint tickets in Onondaga County. Lt. Martin Nerber, Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office, was honored for his 246 occupant restraint citations during the reporting period.
- Overall Performance Award: Village of East Syracuse Police Department’s Sgt. Peter Vasiloff. Vasiloff made 48 criminal arrests, 46 DWI arrests and issued over 220 Vehicle and Traffic tickets during the reporting period. Repeat winner Deputy Joseph Strom, Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office, was selected as the top performer from a large police agency. Strom issued 1,930 total tickets, including 46 cell phone tickets, 48 DWI arrests leading to 94 DWI charges, and made 18 DWAI-Drug arrests.
- Aggressive Criminal Enforcement Award: Deputy Sean Andrews, of the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office, was presented with the Aggressive Criminal Enforcement Award. Deputy Andrews is the officer who stopped Steven Pieper in Liverpool in late 2010. That traffic stop helped convict Pieper of the murder of his ex-girlfriend, Jenni-Lyn Watson. Solvay Police Officer Kenneth Isyk was recognized for a traffic stop that led to the recovery of a loaded handgun.
- Nicholas J. Pirro Chairperson Awards: Marcellus Police Department and Dan Meyer, Meyer’s Towing.
- AAA Community Traffic Safety Awards: GOLD: Town of DeWitt Police Department, Town of Manlius Police Department, and the Village of Liverpool Police Department. PLATINUM: Village of Baldwinsville, Town of Camillus, and Village of East Syracuse Police Department