The First Presbyterian Church of Cazenovia was recently awarded a $1,500 grant towards a project to repair and replace rotted and missing trim on the wood tower. The church, which was moved to its current location in 1826, is an example of the Federal style, with its white clapboard exterior and distinctive bell tower.
Once complete, the new exterior trim will be repainted by the local firm of Barnes & Rees Painting.
Beyond worship, community outreach services include hosting public meetings and discussion groups, special community music events, church dinners and community fundraisers. The church is used by a variety of community-based programs, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, local scouts, a 4-H club, Cazenovia Water Color Society, the Cazenovia Lake Association and the American Red Cross Bloodmobile. The Wendell House is used by the Cazenovia Community Preschool.
The church actively supports the local CazCares, a church-neutral food bank, by hosting church dinners and community fundraisers.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy has been at the forefront of efforts to preserve, restore, and reuse New York City’s architectural legacy for nearly 40 years. The conservancy’s work has saved more than a thousand buildings across state, preserving the character of New York for future generations.
Hailed as a national model of enlightened and effective preservation, the conservancy sets new standards for the conservation of treasured landmarks, revitalizing architecturally significant structures and contributing to a “greener” state.
For more information, please visit nylandmarks.org.
Amanda A. Mustafic is an assistant of the firm Andrea & Associates.