Boys lacrosse Bees fall to F-M in overtime

B'ville's three-goal lead disappears in second half

— Ben Paprocki's shot was on its way. If on target, it would give the Baldwinsville boys lacrosse team a season-altering victory over state Class A no. 11-ranked Fayetteville-Manlius on a frigid, windy Friday night at Pelcher-Arcaro Stadium.

That shot, in the waning seconds of regulation, clanged off the post. Instead of deliverance, the Bees got overtime, and just 35 seconds of it, before the Hornets converted, took its only lead of the night - and prevailed, 8-7.

Though it was F-M's second victory over B'ville in two weeks, this game in no way resembled the 15-6 loss the Bees had to absorb on the Hornets' home turf on April 14.

Faster and more energetic at the start, the Bees moved in front on Pat Colligan's goal 2:26 into the game. That lead grew to 3-0 by the latter portion of the first quarter as Steve Petrelli and Nate Rutkowski scored.

F-M closed the gap to 4-3 early in the second period, but B'ville had a ready answer. Petrelli made a bold move through two defenders and fired home his second goal, and Luke Evans scored, too, expanding the margin to 6-3, where it stood at halftime.

A large part of this was due to B'ville's defense. Collin Twombly, Scott Kirchner, John Walker and the rest of the back line forced F-M into turnovers and poor passes. And goalie Parker Ferrigan was superb, recording 21 saves by night's end.

F-M made its own switch in goal at the start of the third quarter, Brian Bedell replacing Matt Wells. That seemed to spark the Hornets, as Bedell stopped all five B'ville shots in that period, even if the Bees' maintained a 6-4 edge.

Within a 46-second span early in the fourth quarter, the Hornets tied it on goals by Derek Andrich and Kevin Lux. B'ville reclaimed a 7-6 lead, though, when Colligan put home his second goal with 7:34 left.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment