Jul 09, 2012 Jason Emerson Uncategorized
There is a new antique wooden boat at the Creamery museum on Hannum Street — not for display, but for sale.
Doug Clark, founder of Doug’s Fish Fry and long an icon of the village, has donated his 1961 Correct Craft Atom Skier, “The Little Fry,” to the Skaneateles Historical Society for their use as a fundraising tool. The SHS hopes to sell the boat and use the put the entire proceeds towards completion of the Interactive Model of Skaneateles Lake, a project currently under development.
The model would give visitors the ability to press buttons and see what areas of the lake are known for and how the lakeshore looked 100 years ago. It also would provide information about the lake’s history, water quality and milfoil, water sources, depth and flow, how the lake changes with the seasons and its importance to Central New Yorkers.
The Skaneateles Historical Society aims to have the model in place and functioning before the end of the year and believes it will become a feature attraction at the Museum at The Creamery.
“The Little Fry” is no stranger to Skaneateles Lake, where it was often spotted with Clark at the wheel. The 15-foot boat is powered by the original Gray Marine six-cylinder inboard engine. Reportedly, the engine is in good running condition.
The boat itself has a leak that needs ﬁxing, but is otherwise in good condition, although it would take some work to enter it into the Antique and Classic Boat Show, according to a news release from the SHS. A trailer comes with the boat, as does a pair of vintage water skis labeled “Dick Pope, Jr., Cypress Gardens.”
Dick Pope, Jr. was a World Championship water skier. He succeeded his dad as president of Cypress gardens in 1962. The Atom Skier model of boat was used in Cypress Gardens for their shows for years.
The Skaneateles Historical Society will accept written offers for the boat through the month of July.
For more information, contact the SHS at 685-1360 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also at the Creamery museum:
The historical society has a new temporary exhibit showcasing the Finger Lakes Lyric Circus, which presented summer seasons of musical comedies, operettas, and plays in a tent theater just east of the village on Route 20.
Run by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Davis, the first Broadway musical, using professional musicians and actors, was held in 1952 under a huge blue tent. In July of 1957, the tailwind of Hurricane Audrey ripped the tent to shreds, and 1959 was the last year of performances.
The exhibit offers old programs, photos and a model of the Lyric Circus for viewing. Also, the gift shop is selling note cards with a painting of the Lyric Circus tent.
The Creamery museum is open 1 to 4 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, or by appointment, during July and August.
Jason Emerson is editor of the Skaneateles Press. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Jason Emerson is editor of the Cazenovia Republican and Eagle Bulletin newspapers.
Feb 27, 2017
Feb 27, 2017
Feb 27, 2017