Marcellus The Marcellus Mustangs tied the undefeated Liverpool Lancers in their game at 7-7. George Hall made the opening touchdown in the second quarter with Harry Lathrop scoring the extra point. The Mustangs 7-point lead held up until the fourth quarter when the Lancers scored and converted the extra point to tie the contest. Ron Martinez, end for the team earned the “Lineman of the Week” award for his great defensive work in the Liverpool game. Ron was one of the top tacklers. Tom Mullen took the “honorable mention” for his great playing. Harry Lathrop is our “Back of the Week” for his overall great game against Liverpool. Harry was the top ball carrier for Marcellus and also made the all important extra point. He also did an outstanding job on defense. Barry Smith took the “honorable mention” for his great play.
Mr. and Mrs. William Bailey announced the birth of their son, John Sheldon on Oct.10.
Mr. and Mrs. John O’Brien of Howlett Hill announced the engagement of their daughter, Bonnie Jean to John Kinney, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Kinney of Cedarvale. No date was set for the wedding.
Miss Mary Esther Kamm, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Kamm of Marietta and James S. Dean, son of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Dean of Ithaca were married Oct. 14 in the Otisco Presbyterian Church. Maid of Honor was Miss Norma Kamm. Best Man was Donald Greet. Ushers were Hall Sanford and Arthur Myers.
No matter what happens, there is always somebody who knew it would.
“Memories of Marcellus” by Frank Griffing went as follows…A man by the name of R. L. Church came over from Skaneateles and built a large wood frame building on the Platt Road on the west side of the M & O L Railroad where Charles Thorpe lived. Church put in machinery and bought apples and peeled, cored and sliced them, then dried them and shipped them out. In 1911, Joseph Kasper, a retired merchant and George Goodwin came down from Webster, N.Y. and purchased the apple evaporator from R. L. Church. The building was two stories high, had three kilns, 18 x 18 and two work rooms 20 x 36 feet long. In 1911, Kasper and Goodwin built another kiln 18 x 18, two workrooms 24 x 36. They used gasoline motors for power to run their paring and coring machines. They had four large furnaces for drying and used grate coal at $5.25 a ton, one large bleacher to bleach the fruit. They used 300 bushels of apples daily from which they made one ton of dried apples. In 1911, they used 17,000 bushels and 13,000 in 1912. There were 17 employees and George Goodwin was manager. In 1913, not being able to get enough apples in these parts, they decided they would sell the property to James Murphy; Sr. He didn’t dry apples, but used the building for storing. He bought and shipped farm produce. After doing business in Marcellus, George Goodwin decided to move from Webster to Marcellus. He first lived where Wesley Breed lived. In 1918, George bought the Charles Grimes house on Slocombe Ave. George has worked at his carpenter trade since he moved to Marcellus. I will tell you more about the apple business in Marcellus at some other time.
Free yourself from anxiety and needless worry. You cannot control the actions of others or always understand why things happen.
Mrs. Ralph McManus, daughter Sue and her cousin Donna Sherman visited Mr. and Mrs. McDonald of Ottawa, Canada.
Byron Adams, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Adams, a student at Clarkson is one of 51 Business Administration seniors who participated in a recent departmental field trip.