145 Years Ago
June 13, 1866 - Episcopal services were held in Concert Hall last Sabbath, in consequence of improvements being made upon the church of that body. The edifice has been painted over upon the outside, while the inside is to be much beautified by wainscoting, painting of walls, etc.
At the meeting of the Cazenovia Farmers' and Mechanics' Association, held in the Concert Hall Saturday evening June 9, it was decided to have an exhibition and trial of mowing machines and other haying implements in or near this village next on July 4.
In connection with the exhibition, an ice cream and strawberry festival will be held in Hough's Hall on the evening of July 4.
A portion of the highway on Lincklaen Street is being improved by the addition of loads of gravel, which will form a bottom that can sometimes be found. We trust that the improvement will be extended, as we hear it will be, the distance from Williams street to Seminary street, where is one of the worst roads, in muddy seasons, that can be found in this section.
125 Years Ago
June 17, 1886 - It is not generally known that there is residing in the village of Cazenovia, a veteran of the Crimean War. Mr. W.C. Mansfield, (Mrs. Lincklaen's coachman) was one of the "noble six hundred" who rode "through the valley of death" and survived to tell the story of that terrible slaughter. Mr. Mansfield enlisted when he was only fifteen years old and was all through the Crimean war, serving six years and 242 days, during which time he was wounded nine times. He was presented with six badges for deeds of valor ... A good soldier is always a gentleman and that is Mr. Mansfield.
100 Years Ago
June 15, 1911 - The Owahgena club house opened Monday for the season. Mr. Nicholas Googin, who has been connected with the club house for 21 years and has been its manager for the past 15 years, is again occupying that position this year.