Quantcast

In history: Week of June 1

145 Years Ago

May 30, 1866 - We notice that beautiful hedges have taken the place of old time-honored fences between several lots on Lincklaen Street. This is an improvement which we hope to see generally adopted.

H. Ten Eyck, Esq. recently received from New York, a beautiful pleasure boat purchased for his wife, which is now being prepared for service on the Lake. The boat has three complete sets of oars, is finely made, and its cost will be about $110.

An extra supply of surgical instruments, it is reported, has been ordered by the physicians of this village, in view of the miserable condition of the sidewalks.

125 Years Ago

June 3, 1886 - To whom it may concern: The fire bell having been lately placed on the Casa Nova, the following rules are to be observed: For Engine No. 1 strike two and cease for no less than two minutes; for Ledyard Hose strike three times and then cease for two minutes; for Attentives strike five times and cease for two minutes.

In case of fire strike until exhausted. By Order D.H. Doremus, Chief Engineer.

The Trustees of the Village of Cazenovia do Ordain, Make and Establish the following Ordinances ... No person commanding or conducting any steamboats shall land any excursion party within the limits of the village of Cazenovia on Sunday under the penalty of $25. L.W. Ledyard, President.

100 Years Ago

June 1, 1911 - Few people in town know that the interesting old clock standing in the hall of our public library is one which was formerly the property of Prof. S.F.B. Morse, the inventor of telegraphy.

26 veterans appeared in the parade Memorial Day, together with the village officers, the fire department, the band and 200 school children. This was the first appearance of school children in a Cazenovia Memorial parade, and proved to be one of the most pleasing features of the day.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment