125 Years Ago
Jan. 21, 1886 - All ladies and gentlemen interested in singing are requested to meet at the Lecture Room of the Baptist church this Thursday evening for the purpose of discussing the feasibility of organizing a choral society for mutual pleasure and profit.
With the large number of singers in Cazenovia we do not see why such an organization could not be maintained and made very enjoyable. Professor Goodrich has magnanimously offered his services and all who are acquainted with him know that he is a most excellent instructor. Only those who can read music are expected to attend.
100 Years Ago
Jan. 19, 1911 - A recent visit to the new building at the foot of Albany Street erected by Mr. George T. Atwell for his flour and feed business, shows that a new enterprise has been established in Cazenovia. The excavation for the building commenced early last summer. In the process the remains of an old corduroy road were found about six feet below the surface, and a large amount of tan bark, left from a tannery which was on that site years ago. About 2,000 feet of pine wood in distillery vats were also found.
This had been covered so many years that the wood was in excellent preservation. The building is 130-feet long and 36-feet wide; 90 feet of this is two stories high and 40 feet one story high. A switch from the Lehigh Valley Railroad of sufficient length to hold five cars runs along the west of the building. There is a blacksmith shop in the rear and a drive around the entire structure ... The building is lighted entirely with electricity and is modern in all lines ... The plans for the building were drawn and the construction of the same superintended by Mr. C.H. Barrett of this village.