At 9:28 p.m. Sunday Feb. 13. the fire alarm came into the county 911 center for 75 East Genesee St., Skaneateles, where there were two owner/occupants Frank and Shirley Cavaiolo.
At 9:29 p.m. Skaneateles Police officer Eric Sharpstein arrived on the scene.
After alerting his wife, Frank had gone down to the first floor to investigate. After calling in the alarm, he made his way outside expecting to see his wife. Sharpstein entered the structure in search of Shirley.
At 9:32 p.m. Skaneateles Volunteer Fire Chief Eric Sell arrived on the scene as Sharpstein was coming out of the building assisting the Shirley, who had been disoriented on the second floor due to heavy smoke.
Sell's first action was to call in a second alarm alerting other fire companies because of the size and age of the structure (built in 1816).
Sells said it took approximately 20 minutes in total to knock down the fire, which started in an electrical outlet in a baseboard on the first floor.
The first floor houses the Cavaiolo's shop the Chestnut Cottage, which experienced fire, smoke, heat and water damage. The second floor, which is the Cavaiolo's residence, experienced smoke, water and heat damage as well.
The Cavaiolos were able to get their two cats out before Frank was transported to St. Joeseph's Hospital because of smoke inhalation. He was later released. A firefighter was also transported reporting exhaustion. He was later released.
Skaneateles Chief of Police Lloyd Perkins, who was also on the scene said, state police in the area at the time of the fire and a sheriff assisted Skaneateles Village Police in securing the area, which entailed closing the stretch of Route 20 between Leitch Avenue and Jordan Street in the village of Skaneateles.
Fire companies assisting Skaneateles were Mottville, Marcellus, Sennett, Owasco, Elbridge, Jordan, Howlett Hill, Amber, Navarino and Taunton, as well as mutual aid from SAVES, MAVES, rural metro and the Red Cross.