Volunteers load Christmas trees into a FedEx truck at Three B Tree Nursery, Jordan.
Photo by Amanda Wada.
National Christmas Tree Week
Dec. 6, the United States Senate unanimously passed a resolution sponsored by Oregon’s Senator Jeff Merkley designating the first full week of December in 2011 as “National Christmas Tree Week”.
"Resolved, That the Senate—
(1) designates the first full week of December in 2011 as “National Christmas Tree Week”;
(2) encourages the celebration of Christmas trees during that week;
(3) recognizes the role Christmas trees have played in the history of the United States;
(4) reaffirms the environmental benefits of Christmas tree farms and recycled Christmas trees;
(5) encourages the recycling of Christmas trees after the holiday season; and
(6) celebrates the joy Christmas trees bring to families across the United States"
Jordan It’s not yet a white Christmas, but the lack of snow did not stop a dozen or so volunteers from getting into the Christmas spirit Dec. 5.
Volunteers from the Three B Tree Nursery in Jordan, Drexler’s Trees in Pompey, and sons of the American Legion Posts 858, 601 and 408 all gathered at Three B Tree Nursery to help load Christmas trees into an 18-wheeler FedEx truck, headed to Fort Drum.
The program is sponsored by the Christmas SPIRIT Foundation, a part of the National Christmas Tree Famers Association.
Most of the trees were donated by the National Christmas Tree Farmers Association. This is the seventh year New York State has participated in the Trees for Troops program. Since the program’s inception in 2005, Christmas tree farmers from across the U.S. have provided more than 84,000 Christmas trees to military bases throughout the U.S. and overseas.
Local individuals can also donate trees through the program. This year, residents from Weedsport, Massena, Skaneateles, Elbridge, Memphis, Port Byron, Cato, Cleveland, Parish, Williamstown, Central Square and Auburn made donations.
The Massena Walmart donated more than 50 tree stands, which will be sent along with the trees. Three B Tree Nursery matched their donation with an additional 50 tree stands.
About the Christmas SPIRIT Foundation
The Chirstmas SPIRIT Foundation, the 501(c)(3) chartitable branch of the National Christmas Tree Association, advances the spirit of Christmas for kids, families and the environment. Trees for Troops is among the Foundation’s projects. For more information, please visit Christmasspiritfoundation.org.