After years of dedicated effort in restoring the house and researching its origins, Kate and Steve Webb brought about the nomination of their home to the National Register of Historic Places. The Division of Historic Preservation of New York State placed the residence in nomination. This was followed by inclusion of the house on the National Register in 1979, following approval by officials of the federal government, who administer the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
Dan Bradley sold one hundred seventy five acres from his farm and the two-story house to Captain John Sanford, on March 28, 1828, who conveyed it to J. Clausen Platt in 1860. Bradley then moved to a smaller house, at 13 South Street. There he died in 1838. His son, Isaac, lived in the house at 13 South Street until his death in 1904.
Remaining in the Platt family until 1909, the Dan Bradley House was long known as the "old Platt place." When Edwin E. Barney of Syracuse purchased the property from the Platt Estate in 1909, his brother Frank, a well-known Auburn artist, painted scenes of The Dan Bradley House and its surroundings.
Much of Dan Bradley's land described in deeds dated 1796 to 1798 adjoins the present house lot as Marcellus Park. The Marcellus Historical Society owns his Yale College diploma and has this on display at The Steadman House.
The Moses House
The Curtis Moses House, a Greek Revival style house, was built circa 1838 at 36 South Street in the Village of Marcellus. The house is a lovely example of the Greek Revival Period, surrounded with trees, with a sweeping command of the grounds from the front steps. Built around 1838 by Curtis Moses, a Marcellus merchant and town clerk, this home was also the main house of a large farm that dominated the southwestern part of the Village. The house was constructed of locally manufactured brick, is painted white, and the kitchen, as was common in some houses of that period, was originally in a raised basement with a dining room with floors made from the brick. The house has wide plank floors of mahogany, a Belgian marble fireplace in the dining room and a curving flight of stairs made from cherry. The massive but graceful Ionic columns, signifying its Greek Revival style, support the projecting portico. The attic windows are evident in the plain entablature. The windows are the original, 6 over 6, and the entrance has rectangular transom light above. Several stone hitching posts remain on the property, two of which are visible in the accompanying photo.
Curtis Moses' brother, Chester, was the owner of the Moses woolen mills, which later became known as the Marcellus Woolen Mills and after consolidation with other local mills, the Crown Mills Company. Curtis Moses sold the house in 1853 to George Reed, co-founder of the Eagle Paper Mill in Marcellus Falls. Today, the house at 36 South Street is a private residence, and the exterior is visible from South Street, a public road in the Village.
-- Information provided by the Marcellus Historical Society