Following application made by the Marcellus Historical Society, the William G. Pomeroy Foundation has once again provided funding for the purchase of two historic markers, recognizing two historic homes on South Street in the village of Marcellus. They are the Bradley House, at 59 South Street and the Moses House at 36 South Street. The society is very much indebted to the Pomeroy Foundation for its generosity in helping to recognize historically significant sites in our community, as well as very grateful to the village of Marcellus Highway Department for having installed the markers.
The Bradley House
The Dan Bradley House, a home built circa 1800 at 59 South Street in the village of Marcellus, is one of the few architectural survivals of Onondaga County's pioneer period to remain without major structural alterations. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Homes in 1979.
Soon thereafter the arrival of the first white settlers in Marcellus in 1794, Judge Dan Bradley ,who had arrived in Marcellus in 1795, erected this house. He came from Connecticut, had a master's degree from Yale and became Onondaga County's first judge as well as the prosperous owner of a sawmill and a significant amount of property in the southeastern part of the village. There is even more notoriety in the Bradley family. The judge's son, Dan Beach Bradley, whose mother died while giving him life, was the first medical missionary to Siam during the reign of Mongkut - the very same king who became famous in the musical "The King and I." The missionary died in Bangkok in 1873.
When Mrs. Mrs. Stephen Webb took ownership of the house in 1950, they completed necessary restoration, and it remains meticulously maintained to this day. Built in the Federal style, lumber for Bradley's dwelling was felled on his extensive lands and worked in his mill. The house is an example of "brace-frame" construction, when the outside walls support the weight of the roof. This was deemed "a very ambitious undertaking and an urbane house for the frontier, where log houses were still the common dwelling." Surrounded by ancient trees, the house is furnished in keeping with the era in which it was built, and furnished in the taste and period of its this prominent pioneer, including its spacious plan of two interior chimneystacks. The original 12 over 12-poured glass windowpanes, seven fireplaces, and a cellar kitchen with a flagged hearth and the original crane and bake oven, are among the architectural features of the structure. In addition, the cornices, which detail the roofline and the dentil mouldings, which are carried across the gable ends, are original.