Once a Mustang, always a Mustang. Or, in Nora Barry's case, once a Mustang, soon to be a Gator, too.
Nora signed a letter of intent to play lacrosse at the University of Florida during a ceremony held in the Marcellus Senior High School library Wednesday Nov. 10.
Those looking on with excitement and pride included Patty Barry (mother), Tim Barry (father), Agnes Barry (Grandmother), Rich Roth (Uncle), Joanne Barry (Aunt), Liam Barry ( Brother), Emmett Barry (Brother), Lynn Connors (family friend), Bradford Dates (Marcellus Athletic Director) and Dick Lundblad (coach). Also joining in on the celebration were Marcellus varsity girls' lacrosse teammates Jill Reichel, Emily Hennigan, Allie DiStefano, Renee Poullott, Molly McGuane, Faith Seeley, Alanna Todd and Grace Nolan.
Nora has amassed an impressive resume of both athletic and academic accomplishments which include:
- 197 career goals, 47 career assists and 337 career grounded balls
- Varsity letters in Cross Country and Indoor Track
- 2010 United States Lacrosse All American
- 2010 United States Lacrosse Academic All American
- First Team All Central New York Lacrosse Team, 2010
- First Team All Liberty League Lacrosse Team, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Marcellus Girls Lacrosse Most Valuable Player 2010
- 2009 and 2010 United States Lacrosse Upstate National Team #1 selection
- 2010 Central Empire State Games selection
- Earned High Honor Role recognition each semester of high school.
- Member of the National Honor Society
- Performed for 12 years with the Camillus Dance Center
- Performed for 4 years with Main Street Ballet
In addition to the above honors Nora plays for the Star Riders Lacrosse Club, under Coach Dick Lighton. The Star Riders lacrosse team won both the 2008 and 2009 Syracuse Nike Cup Girls' Lacrosse Tournament. Nora was also named to the Rising Seniors Watch List by Inside Lacrosse Magazine and was designated a Top Ten Midfielder by ESPN RISE and ranked No. 21 among all high school girls lacrosse players in the nation.
Nora's accomplishments both on and off the athletic field demonstrate not only her own exceptional talent and dedication but also the support and dedication of her family, friends, coaches and teachers.