May 10, 2010 Erin Wisneski Uncategorized
The village of Baldwinsville approved a motion providing the “Barge Into Baldwinsville” committee with $500 in funds, taken from the village’s celebration account, to help offset costs for the committee’s various events taking place this summer in commemoration of Lock 24’s 100th anniversary. According to Mayor Joseph Saraceni, the towns of Lysander and Van Buren, as well as the Greater Baldwinsville Economic Development Agency, are each considering providing $500 for the committee to use.
On May 9, 1910, Lock 24 was the first lock along the Barge Canal system to open. NYS Canal Corporation Director Carmella Mantello kicks off the summer celebrations with a 5 p.m. rededication of the Lock today (May 12).
Other events include a dessert cruise on July 8, a Twilight Boat Parade Aug. 20 and Barge Into Baldwinsville Day from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Aug. 21. Stay tuned for more details.