Lysander Fire Department plans dedication picnic
The schoolhouse that served the Lysander hamlet for 85 years will come full circle this summer.
The Lysander Union Free Schoolhouse, District No. 17, was built on Lamson Road in the hamlet of Lysander in 1881. When it closed back in 1966, it was the last rural school in the Town of Lysander still in operation.
The firehouse of the Lysander Volunteer Fire Department now sits in the same spot where the school once was. The memory of the schoolhouse will be honored this summer by the very same folks who were asked to destroy the two-story brick building during a practice burn-down back in 1973.
At its annual community picnic Sunday July 18, the fire department will dedicate one of the cornerstones from the former schoolhouse, which was discovered during an excavation project this past spring. The firemen of Lysander have a great day planned for the public. They will begin serving a free lunch at noon including hot dogs and hamburgers hot off the grill, macaroni salad, sweet corn and a variety of homemade baked goods. At 2 p.m., they will dedicate the cornerstone and a plaque honoring the old school's contribution to the community. The balance of the day will be reserved for remembering the schoolhouse, its teachers and its students.
Sue McManus will sign copies of her new local history book, "Greater Baldwinsville," from the "Images of America" series. The book includes several pages devoted to the hamlet of Lysander. All proceeds from sales of her book will benefit the Museum at the Shacksboro Schoolhouse in Baldwinsville.
Inside the firehouse, there will be exhibits of photographs and artifacts from the schoolhouse. People are encouraged to bring their old photos and artifacts of the hamlet or the school so that they can be scanned on-site, digitally preserved and immediately returned. There will also be several activities for children and the fire trucks will be on display for the kids to inspect.
All are invited to the picnic, but a special invitation is extended to former students, families of students and families of teachers. If you're interested in attending or willing to help, call Jack Kline at 678-2066 or June Wilson at 678-2204.
The Lysander Union School, District No. 17, as it appeared circa 1915 (left) and circa 1965 (right) the year before it closed.