Margaret Whitehouse, director of the John D. Barrow Art Gallery in Skaneateles, and John Sutton, West Lake Conservators senior painting conservator, will speak at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday June 15 at the Glen Haven School and Public Library, 7325 Fair Haven Road, at the head (south end) of Skaneateles Lake.
Their illustrated program is "John D. Barrow: Gentleman Painter of Skaneateles Lake." This program is free, and all are invited to attend. There will a brief Glen Haven Historical Society meeting at 7 p.m.
John Dodgson Barrow was born in New York City in 1839, and, when he was 15, his family moved to Skaneateles. Shortly after that, he was sent to England where he began what was to be a lifelong study of painting. In 1856, at the age of 32, he opened a studio in New York, and, four years later, completed what is probably his most famous work, a sketch of Abraham Lincoln giving his Cooper Union speech.
Barrow retired in the 1880s and moved back home to Skaneateles where he spent the last 20 years painting throughout the area, actively involved in church and civic activities, teaching in Syracuse University's Department of Fine Arts and writing poetry and essays of art criticism.
Whitehouse and Sutton's illustrated talk will examine the life and work of Barrow, a second-generation Hudson River School painter. They will note that he is an unusual artist in that he is regarded highly for both his portraits and his landscapes. They will also tell the story of the Barrow Gallery, equally unusual in that it was designed by the artist and built at his expense in order to display the scores of paintings he gave to his hometown.
Sutton has personally restored many of the Barrow paintings that the Gallery owns.
Interesting programs such as this one are scheduled by the Glen Haven Historical Society from June through October and are open to all without charge. The Glen Haven School and Public Library, designed by prominent New York City architect Ehrick K. Rossiter, has been restored and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Sites. Its centennial was celebrated on Sept. 25, 2001.
The building is open to visitors from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturdays throughout July and August, and at other times by appointment. The last teacher of the school when it closed in 1968 and her daughter, an alumna of the school, host an elementary school field trip program entitled, "A Day in the Life of a One-Room School."
For more information about any of these activities, please contact Bud Jermy at 607-749-4365 or firstname.lastname@example.org.