For the 55th year, the Central New York Branch of the National League of American Pen Women is organizing a poetry contest. The contest is co-sponsored by The Post-Standard.
Because of commitments by the CNY Branch's artist members, there will be no accompanying art contest this year.
The 2010 Contest will include a fifth category, as described below. Here are the rules:
1. Entries may be submitted by any person who is not an employee of The Post-Standard or a member of the NLAPW.
2. Contestants will be judged in five groups: Group 1 -- kindergarten through third grade;
Group 2 -- fourth and fifth grades; Group 3 -- sixth through eighth grades; Group 4 -- ninth through 12th grades; Group 5 -- Adult.
3. Entry fees: Group 5 (Adult) $3 per poem, with a three-poem limit. Make check payable to NLAPW. No fee for Groups 1, 2, 3, and 4.
4. Deadline: All entries must be postmarked no later than March 6.
5. Submission guidelines: Groups 1, 2, 3 and 4 may submit one original, unpublished poem of 20 lines or fewer. Group 5 may submit up to three original, unpublished poems, each of 20 lines or fewer. Please keep copies of poetry; no poems will be returned.
Each poem must be typewritten or printed, single-spaced, on one side of white typing or computer printer.
Identification, including name, address and phone number must be typed only on the back side. Groups 1, 2, 3, and 4 must include date of birth, age, school and grade at the time of submission. All entries in all age groups must include a signed statement on the back side as follows: This poem is entirely original and not copied from any source. Signed (entrant's name). Entries not prepared according to these rules will be automatically disqualified.
Mail Groups 1 and 2 to Sheila Byrnes, 3622 Whispering Woods Terrace, Baldwinsville, NY 13027.
Mail Groups 3, 4 and 5 to Mary Gardner, 2411 Wave Way, Skaneateles, NY 13152.
Winners will be selected by a panel of professionals. If judges deem no entry in a group worthy, no award will be given in that group. All winning entries will be read at a ceremony at 10 a.m. May 15 at the Liverpool Public Library, 310 Tulip St. Winners or their authorized representatives must be present to receive their awards.
Questions? Contact Mary Gardner at firstname.lastname@example.org.