Q & A with Doctors, Patients and the Community on Health Care Reform
Congressman Maffei joined members of the community, staff,
patients, and Dr. Ruben P. Cowart, President and CEO of Syracuse Community Health Center Companies, Inc. (SCHC) to discuss the new healthcare reform bill. Rep. Maffei toured the SCHC and participated in a question and answer session that addressed a number of parts of thehealth care bill that Congress recently passed and President Obama signed into law.
What is in the proposal that will help New Yorkers?
* Insurers will no longer be able to deny you because of a
pre-existing condition or drop your coverage when you get sick.
* You will not lose access to insurance if you get laid off or switch jobs.
* Families will not go bankrupt due to health care because annual or lifetime limits will be prohibited.
* Insurers will offer you free preventive care.
* Seniors who fall into the Medicare Part D donut hole will see lower prescription drug costs as the "donut hole" closes.
* Young adults can stay on their parents' insurance through their 26th birthday.
* Small businesses who want to offer their employees health insurance will receive tax credits.