Village of Skaneateles Mayor Bob Green and the board of trustees are urging community members to continue sending comments to the New York State Department of Transportation regarding the proposed truck traffic regulations.
According to Green, the public comment period has been extended until the end of November, far past the original 45-day comment period. Green said he encourages everyone to write, call or e-mail the DOT with their comments in regard to the regulations.
"For the Motor Truck Association to request an extension and the DOT to grant it is really inappropriate," Green said.
On Aug. 6, Gov. David Paterson announced the release of the proposed new trucking regulations for New York, which would restrict large trucks from using seven highways in the Finger Lakes region as shortcuts. The revised regulations would improve safety conditions for communities without disrupting trucking access to local facilities and businesses, according to Paterson's office.
The request for an extension essentially boils down to stall tactics on the part of the trucking association.
The seven highways from which large trucks will be excluded, except for local pick-up and delivery, include:
* NY Route 41 between U.S. Route 11 and US Route 20 in Cortland and Onondaga counties;
* NY Route 41A between NY Route 41 and US Route 20 in Cortland, Cayuga and Onondaga counties;
* NY Route 90 between U.S. Route 11 and US Route 20 in Cortland and Cayuga counties;
* NY Route 38 between NY Route 90 and the southern Auburn City line in Cayuga county;
* NY Route 79 between U.S. Route 11 and the eastern Ithaca City line in Broome, Tioga and Tompkins counties;
* NY Route 89 between the western Ithaca City line and US Route 20 in Tompkins and Seneca counties; and
* NY Route 96 between the western Ithaca City line and NY Route 414 and between NY Route 414 and US Route 20 in Tompkins and Seneca counties.
Comments may be sent to the Department of Transportation at:
* E-mail (preferred method): email@example.com
* Mail to: DOT c/o Yomika Bennett, 50 Wolf Road 6th Floor, Albany, NY 12232
* Telephone: (518) 457-2345