Boy Scout Troop 60 of Warners celebrated the milestone of 60 continuous years of scouting Saturday May 9 at the Warner's Firehouse. In celebration of its 60th year, Troop 60 hosted a reunion and luncheon that was attended by nearly 100 people with some from as far away as Maine, Illinois and Florida.
A Boy Scout Opening Ceremony was held at the park located at the corner of Newport Road, Warners Road and Route 173 where Troop 60 and family members cleaned up the park and repaired the retaining wall in recognition of "Good Turn for America Day," otherwise known as Earth Day.
Senator John DeFranciso presented Troop 60 with a Legislative Resolution at the park and spoke to the group at that time. The Resolution was passed in the New York State Senate honoring Troop 60 and its continuous service to scouting and youth in the community. The town of Camillus also passed a Resolution on behalf of Troop 60.
Upon the return to the fire department, the Reverend Thomas Schafer from the Warners Methodist Church shared a blessing for the day. Jerry Wright, vice president of district operations from the Hiawatha Seaway Boy Scouts spoke on behalf of the Council and shared his wisdom about scouting. In turn, the troop acknowledged previous Scoutmasters, Eagle Scouts, scouts and leaders that were in attendance. A spaghetti dinner that was prepared and served by members of the Warners Fire Department followed.
The Troop began as early as 1938 with Jack Smith and brothers Don and Elywin Weisbrod in the 1940s. Troop 60's official charter date is documented and recorded as February 1, 1948. Steven Kay, the current charter organization representative, has been associated with the troop since 1949.
Troop 60 currently has more than 20 Boy Scouts and recently returned from a trip to Philadelphia for its annual spring trip. The Scouts toured Independence Hall, The Liberty Bell and went white water rafting on the Lehigh River.