Property owners still have chances to discuss, argue tentative home values in Elbridge

Elbridge residents still interested in making their case to assessor Larry Fitts have a few options, according to the town board and Office of Real Property Services representative Joe Moorman.

Moorman addressed the Elbridge Town Board and a sizeable crowd last Wednesday, where many residents and property owners expressed confusion and desperation with their tentative assessments.

In the midst of a townwide revaluation, Fitts wrapped up informal hearings last week, the 10-minute sessions meant to give property owners a shot at presenting evidence that would lower their assessments.

But if your informal hearing didn't produce the results you expected, or you missed out because all the time slots were full, you can still chat with Fitts while he sits with the assessment roll or go directly to the Board of Assessment Review, Moorman said.

But, beware: it's only going to get more difficult to get your assessment changed from this point on.

While Fitts sits with the roll he can still change your property value, but it would require a stipulation signed by Fitts and the property owner. That stipulation would then go to the Board of Assessment Review, which typically accepts the change.

"It's basically just a rubber stamp at that point," Moorman said.

If homeowners meet with Fitts while he sits with the roll and still don't see the change they expected, their next opportunity is to file a grievance and go before the BAR directly on Grievance Day.

There, taxpayers present the same evidence to the board that they would have, or did present, to Fitts. The board does then have the authority to change assessments.

At the end of the process, there is small claims court.

Contact the Elbridge Assessor's Office at 689-7405 for more information.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment