The village of Baldwinsville accepted an antique steam-pumping engine manufactured at Morris Machine Works (circa 1918) as a gift from Joseph James at the June 18 board meeting.
James, who plans to retire soon, thought it appropriate the pump should be returned to Baldwinsville where it will be properly cared for. The story of the pump follows according to James, the pump custodian and representative of Goulds Pumps (former Morris Machine Works):
"On Oct. 12, 1922, a new constructed Great Lakes freighter steamed its way out of its berth at Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., Manitowoc, WI, heading for Canada on its maiden voyage carrying a light load of Iron Ore. That ship's name was the John A. Kling. She was 438 feet long, 56 feet wide and weighed 5,400 tons. She spent the next 60 years travelling the Great Lakes carrying stone, coal and cement. In 1966, she was repowered with diesel engines and the steam-powered equipment was removed. The captain and the owners, Reiss Steamship Company, gave one of the pumping engines back to Morris Machine Works in Baldwinsville, where it was manufactured in about 1918. We have restored the pump and engine to be in nearly new, working condition.
It is fairly large, about six feet tall and fairly heavy, about 1,000 pounds. It is painted black with silver trim.