The Skaneateles Boys' Varsity Hockey Team would like to thank everyone for their continued support. This year the team added a theme to all of its home games in an effort for them to give back to the community.
On Dec. 9, attendees were asked to bring an item to donate to the food bank. Thanks to the team's fans, they were able to collect more than 200 food items and children's books for families in need this holiday season.
Tuesday Dec. 15, the team celebrated senior citizens with refreshments, health screenings and information and honors. Carl Wellman, a hockey fan for decades, won the first 'Golden Puck' award.
Join the team for future themes including:
* Jan. 6: Powerplay it Forward Night is when fans will bring old cell phones, unwanted holiday gifts and gently used eyeglasses for the battered women's shelter;
* Jan. 20: Hockey Supports Our Troops Night is when the team will sell special patches for $5 each and donate all proceeds to the New York chapter and honor local military men and women recently returned from Iraq (please wear red, white and blue);
* Jan. 27: Skaneateles Youth Hockey Association Night will be when all players will wear their jerseys and the new players will play in between periods;
* Jan. 29: On Community Sports Night, attendees will come dressed with their faces painted and in their favorite sports uniform and one lucky fan will be given the "Biggest Sports Fan' award.
* Feb. 3: Girls Night is an evening when all girls will wear a jersey and the younger players will play in between periods.
* Feb. 5: Senior Night will honor the seniors on this year's team with a special slide show and family presentations.
The team wished to thank all its supporters for their encouragement and for cheering them on. They will continue to do their best to make the fans proud.
Your 2009-10 Lakers include:
Zach Augustine (#14, C), Jake Bird (#4, A), Packy Jones (#19, A), Scott Bruening (#1), Jack Fabrizio (#2), Dan Tarolli (#3), Michael Benson (#5), Seth Weiss (#6), Jake Cooney (#7), Johnathan Bronk (#8), Brendan Major (#9), Tom Jones (#10), Sean Cooney (#11), Dylan Van Holtz (#12), Matt Clymer (#15), Max Weiss (#17), Jimmy Rodgers (#18), Gunnar Beck-Andersen (#20), Rory Callahan (#21), Mitchell Jones (#22), Scott Longtin (#23), Jon Rogalia (#24), Josh Lotkowictz (#25), Tyler Stanton (#26), Trevor Diamond (#30), Ethan Kupp (#35), Mitch Major (head coach), Jeff Bobbett (coach) and Mike Mistretta (coach)