Apr 27, 2009 staff reports Uncategorized
On Thursday, June 11 at 8 a.m. at the Hotel Syracuse Grand Ballroom the Board of Directors and staff of the OHA will present the Onondaga Historical Association Medal to recognize distinguished contributions to local history and to the preservation and interpretation of the history of Onondaga County.
Following are the recipients: Cathedral Candle Company, William G. Pomeroy; President CXTec, Ruth Pass Hancock, Cleota Reed, and Stand Skoczen; historians of Syracuse China and John H. Mulroy (posthumously); first County Executive of Onondaga County.
This is the For the 18th time since its inception in 1945 that the OHA has garnered these medals. Sponsorship opportunities still available. Call today to reserve your ticket, starting at $50/ person, and support the mission, programs, and work of the OHA. For more information, or to make a reservation, contact Adrienne Quirk, Director of Development at 428-1864 Ext. 314.
About the honorees:
Cathedral Candle Company has been family owned and operated since 1897, where tradition and modern practices thrive, and serves as the premier manufacturer of liturgical candles in North America. Today, Cathedral Candle Co. carries the tradition of quality and service over into its involvement with the local community. While many manufacturing and service industries have moved to the suburbs, Cathedral Candle Co. remains at its original location on Kirkpatrick St. in Syracuse, NY.
William G. Pomeroy, founder and CEO of CXtec and President of the William G. Pomeroy Foundation. Bill is actively promoting historic preservation and research. As a way to promote historic tourism and provide cultural and educational benefits to towns and villages in Central New York, the Foundation launched its historic roadside marker program in 2006 by awarding grants to erect markers throughout Onondaga County. Bill also has a great interest in family genealogy and established the American Pomeroy Historic Genealogical Association (APHGA).
Cleota Reed, historian of American ceramics and of the arts and Crafts movement, served as Syracuse China’s consultant historian and archivist. Cleota is a Scholar Affiliate of Syracuse University’s Department of Fine Arts.
Ruth Pass Hancock, has served as a longtime volunteer historian for the Syracuse China Company Archives. She is the daughter of Richard H. Pass, past president and part owner of Onondaga Pottery, predecessor of the Syracuse China Company. Her grandfather, James Pass, was co-founder in 1890 of the Pass & Seymour Co and the inventor of the high quality clay “body” formula for tableware, which became known as “Syracuse China.”
Stan Skoczen, began working at Syracuse China in 1937, where for many years he headed quality control and product standards. Since his retirement, Stan has lectured widely on Syracuse China and has continued to volunteer his expertise to the company’s archival project.
John H. Mulroy (posthumously), served as Onondaga County’s first County Executive in 1962. While in office, Mulroy was instrumental in the building of the Onondaga County Civic Center, renovation of the Burnet Park Zoo, creation of the Beaver Lake Nature Center, building of the 526-bed Van Duyn Home and Hospital, building Onondaga Community College, modernizing what was then MacArthur Stadium, and the development of Oneida Shores Park. During his retirement, Mulroy served on the board of many local organizations and not-for profits, including the Onondaga Historical Association. Mulroy was stricken while attending a fishing trip in the Thousand Islands; he died 2 days later and is buried in St Francis Xavier Cemetery in the Town of Marcellus. The Onondaga County Civic Center has since been named in his honor as the John H. Mulroy Civic Center.