Turmoil-filled Warriors fight past Corcoran

Name a negative situation, self-inflicted or otherwise, and the Liverpool football team has likely dealt with it in the brief span of the 2008 season.

To start with, the Warriors could not play home games on its condemned Astroturf field, so it needed to outsource those games to two different locales, neither of which were too close to the Liverpool campus.

Then came a 31-12 season-opening win at Baldwinsville that (1) got smeared by a third-quarter brawl and (2) may end up as a loss because Liverpool used a transfer student without knowing that, at age 19, he was too old for high-school competition.

Despite all this, the Warriors went to one of those temporary home fields at Central Square last Friday night and found a way to rally from behind and beat Corcoran 23-22, the decisive points coming on Jimmy Wright's 27-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter.

As a result of the B'ville debacle, head coach Dave Mancuso had two decisions to make. First, after reviewing all the tapes of the fight, he suspended three players -- Corey Bundrage, Justin Albro and Ken Howard -- that would all sit out against Corcoran.

Then, when the news of the ineligible transfer broke, Mancuso took full blame for the matter, saying that, even though the Liverpool varsity roster is large, he should have done a more thorough job looking through the paperwork.

Of course, there was the small matter of getting ready for Corcoran. The Cougars had beaten Utica Proctor 20-7 in its Sept. 5 opener without playing all that well. Liverpool knew that Corcoran would be vastly improved for its second game, and the guess wasn't wrong.

A wild first quarter saw both teams find the end zone twice. Corcoran hit first, driving to Liverpool's 19-yard line before Travon Burke found a hole and darted to the end zone to put the Cougars up 6-0.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment