On Friday Sept. 19, Syracuse will celebrate its second annual Park(ing) Day! Last year, the PATF converted one parking spot on Walton into a park. Trees, flowers, picnics and music erupted from our park(ing) spot. This year we plan to have FIVE spots throughout Downtown. We are looking for artists to design installations for these five spots.
So what exactly is Park(ing) Day?
- It is a way to increase the greenspace of Downtown Syracuse for a day.
- It is a way to create juxtopositions in a mundane routine.
- It can illustrate how the car has hijacked our pedestrian public realm.
- It can create spaces where people interact.
- It is anything you want it to be!!!
The installation details:
Each spot will fill an 8' x 20' area (approx. size of a parking spot) for the entire day of September 19th. Setup is before 8AM and break down after 5PM. The PAFT will provide up to $100 for each installation. Please leave room for a sign in each installation. Visit http://www.parkingday.org/ for ideas and inspiration!
Please email Paul Mercurio at email@example.com by Wednesday, SEPTEMBER 10TH! In this email, include your answers to the following five questions:
1. Provide a brief description of your installation and what you hope it will accomplish.
2. Include a rough list of materials that will be used and any relevant dimensions / diagrams / schematics.
3. Describe how the space will be maintained during the day: someone should be there to talk to passers-by!
4. Rank your preference of parking spot:
A) Jefferson & Franklin, across from the MoST by Starbucks
B) Walton Street, by Soundgarden and Blue Tusk
C) W Fayette & Franklin, across from Kitty Hoynes
D) Washington & Salina, by Traditions and Personal Fitness
E) Hanover Square, by Coffee Pavilion
5. Attach a brief biography so we know who you are!