There are strict eligibility requirements for Habitat applicants, and those who apply cannot make too much or too little income. For those who are eligible, the 30-year mortgage is interest free and "at the end of that time, you own the house."
Shields said he believes people who are on the build committee are part of it because helping others makes them feel good, and it's for a great cause.
"They understand what a gift this is and what a great contribution we're making," he said.
Rounding out the contributions that will be collected for the newest Habitat home, the chicken barbecue and homemade pie auction is scheduled for next weekend at the Methodist church.
"This is the last fundraiser that we're doing for this house," Cheney said. Funds from the event will go toward installing carpeting in the home and landscaping the property.
Each of the five churches that make up the Interfaith Group -- St. John's Episcopal, St. Francis Roman Catholic, Marcellus First Presbyterian, Howlett Hill Presbyterian and Marcellus United Methodist Church -- will be participating by bringing various food items for the dinner.
According to Cheney, this is just one of a number of fundraisers that have been held for the Interfaith Build.
"Starting from here we continue forward and have new fundraisers and we will be identifying a new homeowner and we will be raising funds to build another house," Cheney said.
A 10 percent tithe is also collected with each Syracuse Habitat home, which goes to Habitat's international effort to build homes in Uganda. Cheney said that every house built by Syracuse Habitat has a tithe associated with it.
Dedication of the new Habitat for Humanity home will be held at 3 p.m. Oct. 19 at the house.
Coming together for humanity
* WHAT: Second annual Habitat for Humanity Chicken Barbecue
* WHEN: From 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Saturday Oct. 18
* WHERE: Marcellus United Methodist Church, 1 Slocombe Ave.
* COST: Tickets are $8 each and will be sold in advance. There will be a limited number of tickets available at the door.
* FOOD: Each dinner will include a half barbecued chicken, macaroni and/or potato salad, baked beans, dinner roll, dessert and beverage. Takeouts will also be available.