Fire and Emergency personnel from Canastota, Bridgeport, Chittenango, Oneida, North Bay and Sylvan Beach responded Thursday evening to a blaze inside Prime Materials Recovery, Inc.
The business is located in the Canastota-Lenox Industrial Park off Route 5 just outside the village.
The blaze broke out at about 8 p.m., and it took fire crews more than two hours to contain and extinguish the warehouse fire with the assistance of mutual aid and back-up of more than a dozen various types of tankers and ladder trucks along with emergency and service vehicles providing medical, communications and power services.
The quick and highly sophisticated response efforts by area volunteers averted a major late night evacuation of homes downwind from the nauseous, and possibly toxic, fumes and smoke from smoldering materials recycled there.
Those fumes, strong well into the city of Oneida, made battling the blaze difficult, according to emergency responders at the scene.