Lawyer claims 'witch hunt'
22-year-old charged with supplying alcohol to minors at fatal fire
By Willie Kiernan
State police ticketed Trevor Tormey, a 22-year-old Erieville man on charges that he supplied vodka to 17-year-old Julia Parker and her friends before she died in a cottage fire on DeRuyter Reservoir April 27.
"He never gave alcohol to that girl who died," said Tormey's attorney Neal Rose.
Tormey pled not guilty to charges of unlawfully dealing with a child last Wednesday in Cazenovia Village Court.
"He never gave alcohol to anyone he knew to be under the age of 21 years old," Rose said.
In court papers, troopers said Tormey bought the alcohol at MacKinnon Liquors in Cazenovia about 7:30 p.m. April 26 and gave it to Parker, Casey Loftis, 19, and Murphy Riedl, 19. Troopers said Tormey did not attend the party at the cottage.
Parker, a high school senior, was staying at the cottage at 515 Spruce Lane in DeRuyter with several others in the hours before the blaze, according to state police. She died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Investigators said the fire originated in a wood stove and ruled the blaze accidental. The cottage was owned by James and Lori Holmes, of New Woodstock. Their son Jesse Holmes, 22, was living there at the time of the fire and attended the party.
Tormey, a student at the University at Buffalo, will reappear in court at a later date.
Rose called the prosecution of his client "a witch hunt."