Westhill wins lacrosse showdown with Ludden

by Christina Alexander

When one thinks of Bishop Ludden and Westhill, one can't help but picture the classic cross-town rivalry between the two, no matter what sport it is.

This time around, it was boys lacrosse. A rescheduled game of April's snowstorm fury, the teams were set to battle on Cleary's Field this past Saturday night. A rowdy crowd, mixed with the colors of blue and green set the atmosphere of the game ahead.

In the first quarter, Ludden struck first on Brian Boyle's goal at the 2:17 mark, making use of Westhill's early errors and missed passes.

Three minutes later, the Warriors tied it asWillie Fischer found Vinnie Alexander for the goal. A goal by Matt Kise in front of Ludden's goalie, Shawn Lynch, was waved off, resulting in a transitional goal from Ludden.

From there, both teams would look to push it, showing no signs of slowing up. Westhill responded, rattling off two consecutive goals by Neil Purcell and Derek Kurtz, Kise assisting on Kurtz's goal.

Starting the second, the Warriors found a surge of energy and went on a three-goal tear. During the span, Ludden had ample shots on goal, but was unable to capitalize, often missing by inches.

It was Boyle again who stopped the run at 6:26 with an unassisted goal. Ludden went on a short run after that, scoring two consecutive goals before the half, going in with a one-goal disadvantage at 6-5.

At the start of the third quarter, the Warriors dictated the pace, coming out of the gate strong with two unassisted goals by Kise and Alexander. Meanwhile, Ludden's lone goal of the period came from Kirch with 11 seconds left, making it 8-6.

Starting off where he left off in the third, Kirch found the net for his second goal of the game. However, It was the Gaelic Knights' last tally of the night, leaving Westhill to knock off four unanswered goals to pull away.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment